Beattie’s Battle of the Books competition was once again another great battle! Each team had to answer questions about the eight books they read this year. Three Silverton teams, four Mesa Verde teams, and four Longs Peak teams answered rounds of questions to earn the right to compete in the District BOB competition on April 1st at Linton. The Silverton winners were the Beattie Book Bugs! Congratulations to Jordan Jamerson, Abby Loughrey, and Cassidy Noeldner. They were coached by Mrs. Schweizer and Mrs. Wagner. Mesa Verde winners were The 4 Musketeers, coached by Mr. Lucero. Team members are Alessandro Lucero, Carly Stockton, Elizabeth Bruenger, and Logan Harris.
Mr. Healy coached the Book Monsters to a victory for Longs Peak. Team members are Dylan Hill, Izzy Scheu, Sydney Kropp, and Naomi Rasmussen. Congratulations teams, and good luck at the District Battle of the Books competition!
The PSD Odyssey of the Mind competition was held Saturday, March 27th at Fossil Ridge High School. This year’s tournament involved 100 teams and over 650 students. Beattie was well represented with five teams, one at each grade level. Longs Peak and Mesa Verde teams both chose Discovered Treasures as their Long-Term Problems, while Silverton did Food Court.
Castle Rock and Evergreen participated in the non-competitive problem Surprise Party. All the students did a terrific job!
The Longs Peak and Silverton teams both won second place for their performances! Congratulations to Naomi Rasmussen, MaKenzie Heck, Elenya Grant, Joey Marsden, Orin Siconolfi, Sarah Kemp, and Tate Young on the LP team and Hunter Newton, Ramin Mammoser, Cassidy Noeldner, Morgan Caron, Alex Kropp, and Julia Allen on the SV team. I would also like to thank our terrific parent volunteers for helping on the day of the competition; helping with the props, and judging…a huge thank you to Joni Cleaver, Dave Arnold, Susan Kemp, Patty Heck, Ann Rasmussen, Leonard Lucero, Sean and Deb Tucker, Tara Kropp, Missy Noeldner, Tim Walters, Nicki Thieman, Stephanie Himmelberg, Charla Allen, Wendy Guirey, Gretchen Grant, Charla Hettinger, and Denise Klein.
Cindy Haskell, GT Coordinator
View more at our Beattie Lighthouse site http://www.psdschools.org/schools/beattie/lighthouse.aspx
View the district criteria
- 1st grade- I Search class includes guided reading,
science enrichment, Odyssey of the Mind, and
math pull-out optional.
- 2nd grade- I-Search includes beginning research (descriptive, historical, experimental), Lego-Logo,guided reading, and Odyssey of the Mind.
- 3rd grade- I-Search classes includes creative writing,Mystery Festival (science investigations), Fairy Tales on Trial (unit on law and government), Lego-Logo, guided reading, and Odyssey of the Mind. Additional options may include technology projects.
- 4th grade- I Search classes include guided reading/writing, Batttle of the Books, WordMasters (analogies), accelerated math, Odyssey of the Mind, and the Stock Market Game.
- 5th grade – I-Search classes include reading/writing, accelerated math, Geography Bee, WordMasters (analogies), and Odyssey of the Mind.
Look who won the Elementary Region Stock Market Game -
First out of 222 teams!
David with his Young Scholar’s project,Modern Wind Energy.
Science Olympiad North Regional competition; Frankie and Alexis at the Tower event.
Selyne and Eddie at the Scrambler event.