Week of May 20-24
- The last day of Homework Help for the year is this Thursday! All makeup work and tests are due on Friday!
- We are pleased to announce our 4th quarter Honor Teacher Award recipient. Congratulations to Ms. Gabby Wymore!!!
- Mr. Crist needs all track uniforms and locks in by Friday. Our end of the year pizza party is tomorrow at 2:45 in the auditeria. If you have not paid Mrs. Caskey in the front office, do so by 8:00 on Friday. District track results are not in, however, there were some great performances from our Blevins Bruins!
- All raft trip members will meet after school on Friday, May 24th in Ms. Currier's room.
- Attention all 8th graders - Finanace Park lists are posted in the auditeria. So, if you have not turned in a permission slip you need to do so immediately or you will not be going! See Ms. Wymore or Mr. Viney for a form if you need one. Don't miss out on this fun opportunity to learn and hang out with your friends.
- Students, textbook verification starts tomorrow. Please be sure to bring ALL of your textbooks to school so that they can be checked in!!!
- Congratulations to the following teachers who have been nominated for the 4th quarter Honor Teacher Award:
Teachers, please take a few minutes this morning right after announcements to give your students some time to fill out the 4th quarter Honor Teacher Voting ballot.
Week of May 13-16
- Blevins was 2nd with both boys and girls track in yesterday's meet at Poudre High School. Callin Naddy had a big day, taking first in the 1600 meter, 800 meter and high jump, as well as 3rd in the 400 meter race. Both girls' relay teams won first place. 2nd place winners: Marissa Pesqueira - 75 meter hurdles; Dani Young - shot; Hannah Gates - discus; Xavier Johnson - 82 meter hurdles; Matteo Vattano - 400 meter; both boys relay teams. 3rd place winners: Dani Young - discus; Alistair Dunnington - 100 meter and 200 meter races; Patrik Hoyberg-Nielsen - 1600 meter; Austin Lane - shot. 4th place winners: Belle Deschler - 200 meter; Marissa Pesqueira - 200 meter low hurdles; Jade Gosar - 400 meter; Maddy Bennett - 800 meter; Isaac Field - 200 meter and long jump.
- Attention 8th graders! The 8th grade celebration is this Friday, May 17th at Cottonwood Park/Spring Canyon Park. There will be food, drink, cake, games, awards, music and pictures. Tickets are $5 in the front office. Don't miss out on your last big event as a middle schooler.
- Attention all staff and students: We still have some yearbooks left. They are only $37 and filled with priceless memories. Don't miss out! Bring cash, check or a credit card to the front office.
- All library books are due this Thursday, May 16th. After Thursday, books will be marked as "lost" and you will be charged for them on your Textbook Verification Sheet. Please remember to return all library materials by this Thursday. To avoid long lines in the office, pay your fines in the library now.
- Want to play soccer at Rocky? There will be a meeting for all incoming 9th grade boys interested in playing soccer at RMHS on Thursday, May 16th during lunch. You can meet the head varsity soccer coach and get more details about the program and what to expect for the summer and fall.
Week of May 6-10
- A reminder to those 7th grade students going to Red Fox Meadows today - you are to go to Lunch "A" and then bring a pencil and your water bottle to the front office to meet Mrs. Williams to walk to Red Fox. Check auditeria windows for the day you are going.
- Attention students - starting next Monday, May 13th, we will have students remain outside until the 7:30 bell. If you eat breakfast you will be allowed to come in and go straight to the auditeria and remain there. Other students will need to remain outside unless you have a pass from a teacher.
- Congratulations Blevins students and community! This past school year, Blevins has been fund raising for the new Poudre Valley Hospital Cancer Center. Blevins was able to raise over $800 towards this project. In addition to the efforts of the Blevins students and staff, Houska Automotive generously matched $500 toward our goal. As a result, over $1300 was donated to the Cancer Center in the name of Blevins Middle School. As a District, there were a total of 13 schools participating in fund raising efforts. Together, Poudre schools raised over $87,000 for the Cancer Center. When the new center is completed, there will be four private family rooms named after all the schools that participated. What an accomplishment for Poudre School District! Thank you again for all of your efforts!
- The 6th graders had an outstanding performance at the 6th grade Track Meet. The 6th grade girls dominated Preston and Lincoln, finishing in 1st place by 41 points. Miles Hilbert, Akelah Hamilton, Mikayla Eccher and Madison Vigil swept the first four places in the 100 meter. Julia Schlepp easily won the 1600 meter with a time of 6:11. The 4 X 100 team came in first and Myles Hilbert and Julia Schlepp took first and second place in the 400 meter. In the 200 meter, Mikayla Eccher, Madison Vigil and Akelah Hamilton all placed. The girls also swept discus with Mikayla Eccher, Madison Vigil, Ebene Simmons and Myles Hilbert. Mikayla Eccher also placed first in the shot put. To finish off, Zoee Avery placed second in triple jump and Madison Vigil, Julia Schlepp and Avery Aragon all placed in the long jump. The 6th grade boys placed second in the meet and also had many placers. Angelo Vattano placed in the 100 meter, James Runge and Beckett Olbrys placed in the 1600 meter. The boys 4 X 100 placed second. Jamison White placed 2nd in both the discus and shot put. Ethan Hollcroft also placed in the shot and Angelo Vattano placed second in the long jump. Great job, 6th graders, and great way to represent the Blevins Bruins!
- Here is this week's update from your friendly PBIS team regarding our Bruin Buck Challenge. Unfortunately our 8th grade team did not step up as much as we'd hoped and only 2 8th grade Bruin Bucks were turned in last week. 6th grade turned in 58 and 7th grade turned in 16. Our new totals are 142 Bruin Bucks for the 6th grade team. Great job 6th graders! We only need 8 more Bruin Bucks from you for you to meet your part of our building goal! 7th grade team currently has a total of 51 Bruin Bucks and 8th grade has 27. The new totals will be posted in the auditeria. Let's ramp it up this week so we can get our free hat day for all!! Good luck, Bruins!
- The Blevins Girls Soccer Team defeated Preston 3-0 on Saturday to remain unbeaten this season. The mid field play of Sarah Neff, Maggie Haynes and Ashley Anderson allowed the team to control the ball for much of the game. Emily Barrier was credited with three assists to setup two goals for Tori Parker and one for Tia Barrier. The team's next game is a re-match against Webber on Saturday.
- There is a 6th grade track meet today. All track athletes meet in Gym 200 at 2:45. 7th and 8th grade track members - this is a required practice. You will get work assignments from Coach Crist. Any 7th or 8th grader missing track today will NOT compete on Wednesday.
Week of April 29-May 3
- Hey Bruins! How would you like to go on the next trip to Europe? This is the best field trip you will ever go on! The Globe Trotters are going to London, England next Spring Break! We will tour London and then go to Stonehenge and Bath. Come to the first Travel meeting on Tuesday, May 7th from 2:35 - 3:15 pm in Mrs. Steeples' room (#130). Find out the details of the trip and learn how to save $100 off the cost of the trip.
- Attention all track team members - there will be NO practice on Friday because of the wet conditions outside. The 6th grade track meet that was cancelled on Wednesday has been rescheduled for Monday, May 6th. 6th graders be ready to compete and 7th and 8th graders please plan to show up to help run the meet.
- Blevins students - this is just to remind you that ALL library materials are due on May 16th. Anything not turned in by that day will be considered "lost", and you will be charged for it. Also, avoid long lines at the office by paying your fines now in the library.
- This is a reminder about the Talent Show rehearsal and performances. All cast members will have a dress rehearsal today from 4:00-5:30 pm. Be sure to have all of your props ready for this important rehearsal. Also, please be sure that you have given your music on a CD to Mr. Floyd before the end of the day today. Call time for cast members for tonight's performance is 6:30 pm. Be sure you have all of your equipment/props ready to go for this performance. Tonight's performance begins at 7:00 pm and is free of charge. Tomorrow's schedule has been sent to all staff members. Students need to remember that they report directly to their homeroom class tomorrow morning for the Talent Show performances. If you have questions, please see Mr. Floyd.
- Attnetion 8th graders: Your 8th grade barbeque will be held on May 17th at Spring Canyon Park. Tickets are on sale for $5 per student. This celebration is for current Blevins 8th graders only. The 8th grade BBQ planning committee's organization meeting is this Friday, May 3rd before school at 7:00 in Ms. Wymore's room. All current 8th graders are encouraged to attend. At that time we will decide/discuss decorations for our Hawaiian Luau and possible activities. We will also design a banner to hang. Please help us celebrate your times at Blevins. See you on Friday!
- Blevins opened their track season with Preston and Kinard. First place winners were Jade Gosar - 400 m.; Kelsey Achziger - long jump; Dani Young - shot put and discus. Other placers were Callin Naddy, Maddy Bennett, Marissa Pesqueira, Jordan Green, Clayton Baca, Austin Lane, Matteo Vattano, Isaac Field and Bailey Floyd.
- The Blevins Girls Soccer Team defeated Cheyenne 3-0 on Saturday to remain unbeaten this season. The defensive effort of Ashley Anderson, Madison McDonald, Jenny Shields and Tori Parker was key to the team's win and they only allowed Cheyenne to have one shot on goal the entire game. On the offensive side of the ball, Emily Barrier drilled in a goal from 20 yards out while Cheyenne had two own goals to seal their fate. The teams' next game is a re-match against Preston on Saturday.
Week of April 22-26
- Attention Talent Show Cast Members: Many of you have not picked up the Talent Show Cast information from Mr. Floyd. This information is very important to the success of our Talent Show. Please see Mr. Floyd during your lunch period today so you can receive the information.
- Congratulations to the following students for being chosen as our April Students of the Month:
6th grade - Grace Carsrud, Evan Diana, Savannah Rowden
7th grade - Blake Busby, Alistair Dunnington, Chevy McGee
8th grade - Marley Boulton, Ravyn Cullor, James Howell
- Attention all 7th and 8th grade volleyball players and managers - if you would like to order a team photo, see Ms. Schultz at lunch or after school for an order form. Please place your orders by Friday, April 26th.
- Students who have received an application for "Larimer River Valley Rendezvous", please return your completed application by this Friday to Mr. Stone.
- If you are currently a 7th grader and are interested in making new friends, have demonstrated leadership in your school, community or place of worship and want to become a leader, see Mr. Stone ASAP for information and an application.
- The Blevins Jazz Band performed at the Greeley Jazz Festival last Friday and did an outstanding performance where one judge graded the band with the highest rating of EXCELLENT and one judge awarded the band with a VERY GOOD rating. Also for the first time perhaps in Blevins history, at least in the last ten years, we had a student win an outstanding solo award. That student is Soren Ostergren for his trumpet solo on Vehicle. Congratulations to the Jazz Band and Soren for the wonderful performance on Friday.
- The Talent Show Cast List has now been posted outside Mr. Floyd's Choir Room (room 203)! The judges (Mr. Bretting, Miss Brissey and Mr. Floyd) want to extend their thanks to everyone who auditioned. All students who were selected for the Talent Show need to see Mr. Floyd on Monday for some very important information. As always, see Mr. Floyd with any questions.
Week of April 16-19
- Rocky Cheer tryouts will be from 3:15-6:30 on Thursday. Meet in the Auxiliary Gym.
- Next Thursday, the Lambda Theta Nu Sorority at CSU will be hosting their annual Latina Youth Leadership Conference. We are excited to announce a number of Blevins students were accepted to participate in this fantastic Leadership opportunity! If you applied to attend the conference, please look forward to additional information from your counselors during lunch on Thursday.
- Attention all Science Olympiad team members: There will be practice for building events on Thursday in the tech room. Anyone who can practice, come join. If you can't, that's okay.
- The Blevins U14 soccer team defeated Webber on Saturday with an all around team effort. Tia Barrier scored twice while Emily Barrier landed a 3rd goal to blank Webber 3-0. The team is off to a great start by winning their first three games of the season and their solid defense has prevented their opponents from scoring a single goal. Their next match-up is an away game against Loveland this Saturday at 10:15.
- Congratulations to the 8th grade volleyball team for a great season! They finished up Saturday by making it to the championship bracket at the tournament, losing a close game to CLP 19-21. We ended up in about 5th or 6th place. Please return your jerseys to Ms. Schultz in Student Services by Friday. Information on team pictures and end of season celebration will be out to you by next week. Thank you for your efforts! You made us very proud!
- It's not too late to sign up to be part of the Blevins BB Racers Team and participate in the Bolder Boulder 10K on Monday, May 27th in Boulder, CO. There are still scholarships available to register for free - these will be given out first come, first served! The last day to get registered is this Friday, April 19th. See Coach May in room 305 for info on how to register. Registration includes entry to the race, two t-shirts, a reusable lunch sack full of snacks and training runs here at Blevins on Wednesdays and Fridays. Sign up today!
- This past Thursday through Saturday, three Blevins students participated in the Colorado State Science and Engineering Fair held at CSU. Lauren Foerster, Addie Huebner and Jamison White earned their way to the state competition with wins at the Blevins Science and Engineering Fair and at the northern regional Longs Peak Science and Engineering Fair held at UNC earlier this year. LIke any competition, making it to the state level is an incredible accomplishment. Jamison White was awarded the Grace Hopper Pioneers of Science Award, receiving $30 and a certificate for his project, Golf Ball vs. Mathematics. Lauren Foerster was awarded the American Vacuum Society Rocky Mountain Chapter Award, recieving $100 and a certificate. Lauren was also awarded a 4-year $500/year scholarship to attend CU Boulder for her project, Walking on Eggshells: Renewable Bio-composite. This is the first time a middle school student from Blevins has been awarded a university scholarship. The Science Department would like to thank Addie, Lauren, and Jamison for representing Blevins so well at this year's competitions.
Week of April 1-5
- The best way to describe Thursday night's 8th grade volleyball match against CLP is WOW! The varsity team pulled out an amazing 3 game win with close scores of 21-23, 22-21, and 15-11. The JV team followed that with splitting games 16-21 and 21-14. Way to go Bruins! Keep up the great play! Next up - away games at Webber and Kinard.
- Any student interested in going out for track needs to have a physical turned in to Ms. Garcia. To get physical forms or if you have questions, please see Ms. Garcia in room 112.
- Congratulations to Madison Olver for being selected into this year's PSD Middle School Honor Orchestra! Madison competed against over 100 other students for her place in the orchestra. Her successful audition placed her into the 64 member group which includes students from all across Fort Collins. The Honor Orchestra will perform in concert on Tuesday, April 30th, at Poudre High School.
- Hey Bruins, have you checked your planner lately? This Friday is our next school dance! This time the theme is: Black and White and Neon! So get out your black and white clothes, grab some neon or buy some at the dance and come out on the dance floor this Friday night. There will be cookies, soda, and water available for sale. Attention: school dress code still applies. That means ALL clothing must be school appropriate. So let's enjoy this privilege by making good choices and having a blast at this dance!
- The 8th grade varsity volleyball team closed out their last home game with a tough loss to Lesher 15-21 and 14-21. The JV team had two great wins of 21-19 and 21-15. The team will be away for their last three regular season matches before participating in the 8th grade tournament at Fossil Ridge High School on Saturday, April 13th. Keep up the good work, Bruins!!!
- We are pleased to announce our 3rd quarter Honor Teacher Award recipient. Congratulations to Mr. Tom Schachet!!
- There will be a short meeting in Mr. May's room (305) at 2:40 today for all students interested in running the Bolder Boulder 10K with the Blevins BB Racers Club. We'll talk about how to register for the club and the race and we'll go over training plans. Our first training run will be at 2:45 on Friday. There's only 54 days until the race!!
- Track practice starts Monday, April 8th. You need a physical to participate. We will meet in Gym 100 at 2:45 on Monday, April 8th. Come out even if you did not get to sign up with Mr. Crist. See Coach Crist, Coach Wymore or Coach May if you need an information sheet or have any questions.
- Attention golfers - this is your reminder that if your name is called you need to be at City Park by 2:45 pm. Please dress warmly. Those names are: Lucas Emerson, Deon Ornelas, Isaiah Conkright, Nadya Buenaflor, Zeb Vaughan, Cameron Nagel, Bobby Jager, Wyatt Schneider, Gerod Kessinger, Tristin Garner, and Robert Davignon. If your name was not called, you do NOT need to be there.
- Congratulations to the following teachers who have been nominated for the 3rd quarter Honor Teacher Award: Mr. Gravelle, Mrs. Kraus, Mrs. Lind-Tufte, Mr. Schachet, and Mrs. Steeples. Teachers, please take a few minutes this morning right after announcements to give your students some time to fill out the 3rd quarter Honor Teacher Voting ballot. Return ballots, right side up, in one direction (please do not fold!) to the front office before 4th period ends.
Week of March 25-29
- If you are planning to audition for the Poudre School District Honor Orchestra, you need to stop by and see Mr. Floyd today to receive some important information about the audition process.
- Attention all Blevins students: Do you have talent? Do you want to be recognized for your abilities? Would you like the chance to get up on stage and show what you can do? If so, then audition for the Blevins Talent Show! The auditions will be held on Wednesday, April 10, from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. A sign-up sheet has been posted in Mr. Floyd's Choir room (room 203) on the South bulletin board. Sign up for a time slot and come to the auditions. Remember to provide your own music (if needed) - we will provide the equipment. Please remember that all CD's must be "karaoke" style. This means no words - only background music. See Mr. Floyd if you have a question on this. Anyone interested in auditioning to host the show (Emcee), should stop by Mr. Floyd's room (Room 203) to pick up the audition information and sign up for an audition time. The host can be one person or a two-person team. Remember, the funnier you are, the better your chances! Clarification: The auditions for host are also April 10th. Don't miss your chance to perform. Sign up for the Talent Show auditions today!
- The following students who went to France and Italy need to stop by Mrs. STeeples' room to collect some items from the trip: Bailey Floyd, Lucas Balbuena, Avery McCrystal, Kaya Brown, Rebecca Fowler, Maddie Titlebaum, Emma Scheetz, Anthony Luongo, and Maddie Olver.
- Congratulations to the 8th grade JV and Varsity Volleyball teams! JV won both of their games 21-15 and 21-12. The varsity team fought hard to bring home a three-game match win with scores of 21-17, 22-24, and 15-10. Strong serving performances from Ana Elliott, Belle Girard, Stephanie Muchow and Sierra Rohlfs paved the way for the wins. Great job! Come out and support us at our next home game on Thursday against Preston.
- Attention Golfers!! Please see Ms. Kechter if you are playing! You need physicals and fees turned in by Thursday to play.
- Up to 50,000 deaths occur annually in the U.S. from seizure-related causes. This is more than deaths from breast cancer. So, in support of Epilepsy Awareness Day, please wear your purple on Tuesday to spread awareness.
- Many of the checked-out library books are due on Monday. Don't forget to stop by the library and return or renew them. Start out the new quarter without letting fines pile up.
- A public library books was turned in to the Blevins library before Spring Break. The book is "Down the Yukon" by Will Hobbs. Please come to the library to pick it up if it is yours. Thanks!
- Attention students - our last dance of the year is coming up next week. It is scheduled for next Friday, April 5th. As usual, all school policies are still enforced at the dance: i.e. school dress, etc. If you would like to invite a guest, please sign them up on the guest sign up at the podium in the auditeria. Please remember that they have to be in good standing and attend a school in Poudre School District.
Week of March 11-15
- Congratulations to all participants of Pi Day yesterday! There were a variety of activities related to pi and the uniqueness of this magnificent number. We had an impressive effort memorizing the digits of pi with many students memorizing 10 digits, 20 digits and more. By our count, a total of 1841 digits of pi were memorized in all. Impressive!
- If any student or staff member has money to donate to KIVA, please bring it to the front office as we will not be collecting at lunch due to the 7th grade field trip.
- 7th graders, please remember to bring a sack lunch and water bottle, wear a tye-dye or Blevins t-shirt and bring your group camera for our field trip to Denver. We are leaving at 8:00 in the morning so do not be late to school!!! We are looking forward to an awesome day tomorrow!
- Tonight is the 3rd quarter band concert at 7:00 pm. There will be added performances before the concert by ensembles of duets, trio and quartets. Everyone is invited to come hear all the Blevins bands in concert. Also remember that the art show will also be on display.
- Golf meeting on Friday at 7:10 in room 221 (Ms. Kechter's room). Anyone interested in going out for golf, please be there!!!
- Yesterday the 7th grade volleyball team had their first game of the season at Boltz Middle School. The varsity team won their games 21-12 and 21-18. The JV team also won both games with scores of 21-8 and 21-12. Great job girls!! Their next game will be tomorrow at Wellington.
- Way to go 8th grade volleyball! The team got their first game under their belt against Boltz. Varsity played well, losing two close games 15-21 and 18-21. JV made their move and won both games 21-15 and 21-15. Come out Thursday to cheer your team to a victory over Wellington. Great job, ladies!
- Attention students going on the trip to France and Italy.....DON'T FORGET TO GO TO THE AIRPORT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Week of February 19-22
- Just a reminder to 7th grade basketball players, team pictures will take place at 2:45 today in Gym 101. 8th grade, your pictures will happen next Tuesday before practice.
- For those students from Mr. Livingston's ELO class, he will be in the kitchen during "B" lunch and after school to hand out the student's baked goods.
- Attention all 7th and 8th grade girls interested in trying out for the Blevins volleyball team - tryouts begin on Monday, Feb. 25th at 2:45 in the gym. Tryouts will last until 5:00 and go through Friday, March 1st. Tryouts are every day that week. Please make sure you have your physical form in the office before tryouts. See Ms. Schultz in Student Services if you have questions.
- On Sunday afternoon at 2:45, the Blevins Jazz Band will be performing at the Fort Collins Symphony Guild Musical Zoo that is being held at Timberline Church, 2908 Timberline Road. The Musical Zoo will include a variety of strolling entertainers and small ensembles, as well as instruments played solo and in a "petting zoo". The grand finale of the event, Tubby the Tuba, will be performed by the Fort Collins Symphony. Join us for an afternoon of incredible fun! A musical adventure for the young and young at heart, especially between the ages of 3 & 12.
- Attention 7th & 8th grade girls interested in improving your volleyball skills. CSU Volleyball coaches and players will be hosting a clinic this Thursday, Feb. 21st at Moby Arena from 6:00-8:00 pm. The cost is only $10, no pre-registration needed. Check-in begins at 5:30 pm. See Ms. Schultz in Student Services for an informational flyer.
- Attention all 8th grade students going to Rocky next year - if you were absent for the field trip last Friday, you need to stop by Student Services to pick up your registration materials. Rocky counselors will be at Blevins on Thursday, Feb. 28th to pick up your registration forms. See Ms. Schultz if you have questions.
- Congratulations to the Blevins students who represented Blevins at the Longs Peak Science and Engineering Fair this week. Please see the Blevins website for full results.
- Just a reminder for students travelling to France and Italy over Spring Break. The last meeting is Sunday, Feb. 24th from 1:00 - 2:30 pm.
- No weight-lifting today Monday school.
- No Creative Writing Club Monday after school.
Week of February 11-15
- Congratulations to the 7th grade boys basketball team, who finished the season undefeated and undisputed District Champions on Wednesday with a 62-26 win against CLP. The JV also won their game 22-5, to finish an incredible 6-2 on the year. If you see any of the 16 7th grade players today, give them congratulations for their historic and memorable season. This is the first boys' district title since 1994, the year Mr. Cormia graduated from high school! The 8th grade also got a win on the road yesterday and claimed the 6th seed in the 8th grade district tournament, which begins next week. Congratulations to the 8th grade team, who improved 3 spots in the standings from a year ago! Just a reminder to both 7th and 8th grade teams, team photos will be Friday at 2:45.
- Happy Valentine's Day, Blevins Bruins! Today is the LAST day you can buy telegrams at lunch. This afternoon the SLT Cupid Messengers will swoop in with their masks and silver capes and deliver your messages to your friends. Remember, this money goes to support the Cancer Center!
- Congratulations to the 6th grade girls Junior Wolves competitive basketball team, which just concluded its fall and winter seasons. The team, which includes Ella Penner, Myles Hilbert, Julia Schlepp, Olivia Tufte, Madison Vigil and Mikayla Eccher, as well as Coach Polenz and Coach Eccher, went 19-2 against 6th grade teams from Colorado and Wyoming.
- Playing tag out in the grass during Rec is becoming a problem. Over the past couple of weeks several students have been hurt. So, we are asking students to no longer play tag.
- Congratulations to our Blevins MathCounts team: Eve Ball, Anthony Botti, Rebecca Fowler, Julia Grasso, Bobby Jager, Cameron Schoenleber, and Daniel Stephenson for an outstanding effort at the Northern Colorado Regional Competition this past Saturday at CSU. Our team represented Blevins with pride and a good time was had by all. It's been a great MathCounts season, thanks to all the team members for participating.
Week of February 4-8
- Congratulations to the 7th grade boys' varsity basketball team, who, in a battle of 5-0 teams, beat Webber 32-21 to move to 6-0 for the season! This puts the Bruins in sole possession of first place with just two games left in the season. Joe Elliott, Xavier Johnson, and Matteo Vattano led a balanced scoring attack with 9, 7, and 6 points respectively. Clayton Baca, Jericho Rogers, Chandler Young, and Jesse Wood also all scored for the Bruins. The JV team also got a huge comeback victory, taking the lead with just 4 seconds left to beat Webber 13-12. Marcus Lybarger had 5 points including the game winning shot, and Dakota Pendleton, Christian Ellerby, Cameron Fitch, Haden Marr and Mason Kriewall all scored in the effort. The team next plays at Boltz on Monday, then will finish the season Wednesday at home vs. CLP.
- If you are competing in the Longs' Peak Science Fair on Feb. 19th, please get your permission slips to either your science teacher or Mrs. Lovaas.
- Beginning this Friday, you will have the chance during lunch to purchase a telegram to be hand-delivered in class to a friend, to a special someone, or hey, even to yourself. Why not? How will it get there, you ask? The Blevins Cupid Masked Messengers will be out in full force to swoop in with their silver capes and deliver your special message. How much does one message cost? Only 50 cents. Where does this money go, you ask? Yes, you got it. To support our Cancer Resource Center! So look for Ms. Schultz and the SLT members at the table at lunch and come have fun and support a great cause! Limited time only!
- Congratulations to the following Blevins' students who participated in the PSD Middle School Honor Band on Tuesday night at Lesher Middle School: Lauren Rowen, Sierra Rohlfs, Rebecca Knaff, Wyatt Schneider and Adriana Huebner. Way to go in representing Blevins Middle School!!!
- Attention all Science Olympiad members - this is an important message from the yearbook staff. We will be taking your yearbook group photo after announcements on Thursday, Feb. 7th in Ms. Wymore's room. After announcements, please come to Ms. Wymore's room.
- MathCounts will meet Tuesday and Thursday of this week after school as we prepare for the Northern Colorado Chapter Competition this Saturday, Feb. 9th. Come and join in the fun as we make our final preparations to represent Blevins in this exciting math event.
- Congratulations to Rebecca Erickson and Rebecca Powers. These two young ladies were selected for the Poudre School District Middle School Honor Choir. These ladies were selected based on their audition last week. They competed against almost 200 other middle school students for a spot in this choir. Rebecca Powers was selected for the Mixed Choir and Rebecca Erickson was selected for the Women's Choir. Thank you to everyone who worked to learn the music and audition for the Honor Choir. Please congratulate these ladies when you see them!
- Attention 8th graders - we are still missing a few permission slips to attend the field trip to RMHS next week. Remember, this is a trip for ALL 8th graders, even if you do not plan to attend RMHS next year. Please bring all signed permission slips to Student Services ASAP!
- Attention Staff and Students - Blevins is proud to announce that Destin Brasington has advanced to the District Spelling Bee taking place next Wednesday at 1:00 pm. Congratulations to Destin Brasington and GOOD LUCK next Wednesday!!
- Attention all 7th grade students - if you did not receive a letter about a field trip to the Denver Museum, please see your Language Arts teacher. All 7th grade students must get their lunch request form to Mrs. Williams by next Wednesday.
- Attention all 6th and 7th graders! Registration materials were distributed last Friday for the 2013-14 school year. If you were absent, please stop by Student Services to pick up the forms. All forms are due by Friday, Feb. 8th. 6th graders, please turn in your forms to your Math teacher. 7th graders may turn in their forms directly to Student Services after getting any needed initials, signatures and applications completed.
- Congratulations, Blevins! The Hat Day Cancer Fundraiser on Friday collected $155.00. That brings our total so far to almost $600. Way to go! We will continue to raise money for the Fort Collins Cancer Center for the rest of the school year. Plus part of our donation will be matched by some local businesses, so it will grow even faster. Thanks you very much for your generosity!
- Blevins will be hosting a Pre-Advanced Placement Classes Information Night on Wednesday, Feb. 6th at 6:00 pm in the Blevins Library. This information night is primarily for those students/parents who are new to the PreAP program at Blevins and will be entering the 7th or 8th grade for the 2013-14 school year. Of course if you are already participating in PreAP you are welcome to attend, but it is not necessary. Any information shared at this meeting will be posted to the Blevins website. If you have any questions, please contact Diane Schultz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 488-4009.
- Hey Blevins Bruins, have you checked your planner lately? This Friday is our next school dance! And WAIT until you hear what the theme is: "STARRY NIGHT". That means glow in the dark stars, cookies, and.... SLIPPERS AND PAJAMA PANTS! Yes, Mr. Linehan has approved pajama pants and slippers for the dance! So bust out your favorite cozy sleepwear (they can be sweats) and come out on the dance floor this Friday night. Attention: School dress code still applies. That means ALL clothing must be school appropriate. All shirts need to still be regular clothes like t-shirts, hoodies, etc. and all pajama pants need to be modest. No skimpy, silky, or see-through pants or short shorts are allowed. Anyone who shows up not dressed appropriately will unfortunately be sent back home. So lets enjoy this privilege by making good choices and having a blast at this dance!
Week of January 28-February 1
- Attention all seventh grade students: If you did not receive a letter about a field trip to the Denver Museum, please see your Language Arts teacher. All 7th grade students must get their lunch request form to Mrs. Williams by next Wednesday, Feb. 6th.
- Congratulations to the 7th grade boys basketball team, who moved to 50 for the season with a 51-18 home win versus Lincoln. Xavier Johnson scored 22 points in the victory, and Joe Elliott added 14, including two 3-pointers. Chandler Young, Haden Marr, Jericho Rogers and Matteo Vattano also all scored for the offense. The JV played a close game but did get the victory. Haden Marr scored 9 in the effort and Jesse Wood added a bucket. The team gets a bye on Monday, then will play again at home next Wednesday versus Webber.
- Attention girls - there is a free sports clinic at UNC in Greeley on Thursday, Feb. 7th. The clinic is from 5:15-6:30 pm with registration beginning at 5 pm. You will report in at the UNC Campus Recreation Center. This is for all girls 8th grade and under and the first 200 girls will get a free t-shirt. All participants will get a free ticket to the 7:05 pm UNC Women's Basketball game. Join student-athletes, coaches and local sports organizations in finding the right sport for you.
- Attention students - our next dance of the year is coming up next week. It is scheduled for next Friday, February 8th. As usual all school policies are still enforced at the dance: i.e. school dress, etc. If you are a 7th or 8th grader and would like to invite a guest, please sign them up on the guest sign up at the podium in the auditeria. Please remember that they have to be in good standing and attend a school in Poudre School District.
- Congratulations to the 7th grade varsity basketball team, who defeated Preston 44-33 on the road yesterday to move to 4-0 for the season. Both teams were undefeated going into the game, but the Bruins played aggressively, with discipline, and as a team, and handed Preston their first loss of the season. Xavier Johnson scored 21, including an incredible one-handed 30-foot 3 pointer with 2 seconds left in the first half. Matteo Vattano, Clayton Baca, Joe Elliott, Chandler Young and Jesse Wood all scored key baskets for the Bruins. The JV team played well, but could not come up with the victory. Haden Marr and Jericho Rogers both scored for the team, which is now 2-2 on the season. Both teams play at home on Wednesday at 3:30 versus Lincoln.
- Congratulations to our 2013 Blevins Spelling Bee Champion, 7th grader Destin Brasington! Destin will go on to represent Blevins in the district written spelling bee this Wednesday, Jan. 30th. Second place finisher for Blevins was 7th grader Greta White and third place finisher was 8th grader Simon Walker. Congratulations to all of the spellers who competed in the final round on Friday, and good luck to Destin on Wednesday!
- Everyone wants to remember this year - especially the 8th graders. Buy a yearbook before it's too late. Puchase one by Feb. 8th to be guaranteed one, however, you can still purchase one until the end of the year. The theme this year is "Painting Through the Year". Bring $37.00 by check, cash or card in to Mrs. Caskey in the front office.
- Congratulations to the six Blevins' students who competed in the Wasson Inventor's Fair this past weekend. Thirty-eight students participated in this year's Fair, representing five middle schools. Each project entered by Blevins was awarded a $100 prize. Kaija Hedman tied for second place and Destin Brasington tied for first place. Please congratulate the following students for their stellar performance: Alistair Dunnington, Clayton Baca, Anna Powell, Justin Laut, Kaija Hedman and Destin Brasington.
- Hey Blevins Staff and Students! It's time for another Spirit Day! That's right Bruins, this Friday, Feb. 1st is Hat Day again! In order to wear your hat, bring 50 cents and get your Blevins wristband when you come in the door. Every penny goes to support the cancer center that Ms. Schultz and Mr. Stone are organizing, so if you want to donate more than 50 cents, that would be fantastic. So let's show our Bruin Pride, have fun wearing hats, and generously give to a good cause at the same time!
- SLT members, don't forget that there is a meeting in Ms. Mickelson's room this Thursday, Jan. 31st. We need to start planning for the dance on Feb. 8th, so see you there!
Week of January 22-25
- The following students will be representing Blevins in the Wasson Inventors' Fair this Saturday: Clayton Baca, Destin Brasington, Alistair Dunnington, Lauren Foerster, Kaija Hedman, Justin Laut, and Anna Powell. Wish these students good luck as they compete for $100.00 cash prizes and category awards.
- 8th graders - this is a reminder to turn in permission slips for the RMHS visit on Feb. 15th to Student Services or Homeroom teacher.
- Congrats to the Blevins students who have qualified for the next round of the Blevins Spelling Bee. The list of qualifiers is posted in the auditeria. The final round will take place during homeroom on Friday. Qualifiers need to check in with their teachers at the beginning of Homeroom on Friday and then report to room 248 (Ms. Lind-Tufte's room). Please bring a pencil. Good luck!
- The 8th grade basketball team picked up their 1st win of the season with a huge OT victory over Wellington on Wednesday. The team showed great heart and determination coming back several times in both the 4th quarter and in OT. The final score was 25-23. The team was led in scoring by Ivan Blount with 11 points, including 2 huge free throws in OT to give the Bruins the lead. Blake Mathews, Jack Stockton, Harry McCoy, Marley Van De Veere and Carter Kind all contributed with points as well. The JV team also picked up a win 18-6 over Wellington. Avery Beard led the team with 8 points, Cedric Culhane added 4 points, while Austin Lane and Isaac Field each scored 2 points. Great job, boys!!! Keep it up!!
- Congratulations to the 7th grade varsity basketball team, who improved to 3-0 for the year with a 38-16 win at Wellington. Joe Elliott got a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds. Xavier Johnson, Jesse Wood, Matteo Vattano, Clayton Baca and Jericho Rogers also all scored in a balanced offensive attack. Matteo Vattano exploded in the first two minutes of the third quarter with 5 consecutive steals. The JV team also got a win, hitting key shots down the stretch to eek out a 13-12 victory. The JV team is now 2-1 on the season. The Bruins next game is Monday at Preston.
- Just a reminder that our Vision and Hearing Screening will be on Thursday, Jan. 24th, in the library for all 7th graders and anyone new to the Poudre School District. Students: remember to wear your contacts and glasses to the screening! Please be courteous to our volunteers and remember to be quiet during the screening. Thank you!
- Attention all students going to France and Italy in March!! There is a meeting this Sunday from 1:00 - 2:30 pm in Mrs. Steeples room. Bring your parents, we have lots of important items to take care of. ONLY 51 DAYS TO GO!!
- Just a reminder that if you checked out or renewed a book on the first day back after Winter Break, your book is due today. Don't forget to stop by the library to renew or return your books.
- Raise your hand if you were one of the band students to audition for the PSD Middle School Honor Band. Congratulations to you for taking the time and effort to audition! The following students should stand since they passed the audition and are the students from Blevins who will perform in the Honor Band on Feb. 5th at Lesher -
Lauren Rowan on clarinet
Sierra Rohlfs on french horn
Rebecca Knaff on tuba
Adriana Huebner on string bass
Wyatt Schneider on percussion
Week of January 14-18
- Attention 8th graders! You have been invited to attend a field trip to RMHS on Feb. 15th! During this visit, you will have the chance to take a tour of Rocky, meet some of the staff and students, as well as receive IMPORTANT information necessary to register for 9th grade classes. Even if you plan to attend a different high school next year, you are invited ot join your classmates for this trip. You will be receiving permission slips in HOMEROOM on Friday. It is very important that you return these ASAP. All students that return their permission slip before Jan. 28th will receive a FREE RMHS t-shirt! If you have any questions about this trip, please see Mrs. Woodward.
- We are pleased to announce our 2nd quarter Honor Teacher Award recipient. Congratulations to Mrs. Dena T-Hartmann!!!
- MathCounts practice on Thursday has been cancelled. We will have our next practice next Tuesday, Jan. 22nd at 2:45 as regularly planned.
- Congratulations to the 7th grade Varsity basketball team, who won an exciting game against Kinard yesterday 42-34. Xavier Johnson led all scorers with 18 points, and Joe Elliott scored 17. Chandler Young, Matteo Vattano and Clayton Baca also all scored key buckets for the Bruins. The JV team played incredibly hard but lost their game. Hayden Marr and Andrew Teck both scored in the effort. Both teams continue to improve, and have a week off before their next game on Wednesday at Wellington.
- For the 25th year, the National Geographic Society is holding the National Geographic Bee for students in the 4th - 8th grades in thousands of schools across the United States and in the five US territories, as well as in Department of Defense Dependents Schools around the world. The 2013 Bee is sponsored by Google. The winner of the Blevins Middle School Bee is Nolan Diana. He will advance to the next level of competition, a written examination to determine state competitors. All school winners are eligible to win the national championship and its first prize, a $25,000 college scholarship, at the national competition May 20-22, 2013 in Washington, DC. A big congrats to Nolan!
- Attention Science Olympiad team members - Friday practice is cancelled due to the Community Fair preparations requiring the Tech Lab. We will still practice on Saturday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
- This is a reminder to students planning on attending the Long's Peak Science and Engineering Fair and/or the Wasson Inventors' Fair: All paperwork and registration fees are due on Friday, Jan. 18th. Please give your paperwork and checks to either your science teacher or Mrs. Lovaas this week.
Week of January 8-11
- Greetings Science Olympiad team members - practices are off and running as of Tuesday after school. Check the calendar outside Lovaas' office or check the calendar on Blackboard.
- Any library books checked out before Christmas Break are due today (Tuesday). Don't forget to stop by the library and return your books or renew them.
- There will be a MathCounts club meeting this week, today and Thursday. Students interested in participating in MathCounts, please come to our meeting at 2:45 in Mr. Schulz's room.
- Attention students... Homework Help will begin NEXT WEEK after school in the library from 2:40-3:40. See you next week!
- Students - as we "kick-off" our new semester you might notice many new students attending Blevins. As you know, being a new student can be a little scary and nerve wracking. So if you see a new student, please take the time to welcome them to Blevins, ask if they need any help, and/or direct/lead them to sit with your group. We all can do a little bit to help welcome our new students to the Blevins Community.
- The Influenza Virus has hit our community. Here are ways you can help stop the spread of this illness and other viruses:
*Wash your hands often
*Use your upper arms to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze
*Do not share personal items such as drinks, food or utensils
*Get plenty of sleep
*Eat helathy foods and liquids - stay hydrated
*Use hand sanitizer when available
*Don't share or pass around personal electronic devices such as cell phones
*Stay home when you are sick.